Monday, April 12, 2010

Bağdat Caddesi

In the late morning, Kuthan, Murat and I left in the westerly direction. They dropped me off on Bağdat Caddesi (a street that is famous here for its awesomeness).There I met up with Bürin, her mother, and her grandmother. It was fun to see three generations of family sitting there in a coffee shop, enjoying a nice day together.Meetings with Bürin, like those with any of my good friends, feel like one of those calm respites out of a Hemingway novel. That sentiment disappeared as soon as we started a brutal round of backgammon. We are currently tied 4-4 with a highly anticipated tiebreaker bound to commence at some point. Kuthan and Murat had joined us by this time and we conversed for a while. The other three would sometimes speak in Turkish and sometimes, when they began to explain what they had been talking about, I finished their sentences. I think the language is growing on me rapidly in these early days.When evening came, we split up and Kuthan, Murat, and I went to a great döner place and ate enough for four or five people between us. To drink I had some of that really good foamy ayran that comes in a tall glass. I freakin' love that stuff!
In the nighttime, I feel so relaxed and exhausted. My days are just packed, kind of like Calvin and Hobbes. These nights come and I dwell on the goings on of the day. I write about some of them. I think these posts will dwindle in frequency soon, but maybe not. Every day so far has seemed like my birthday. There have been the feelings of growing, the good friends, and the special sense that heut' ist mein tag.

No comments: