Thursday, April 8, 2010

An account of what has happened with my travels

My experience at Logan Airport was good, although weather between Boston and Chicago was causing delays for earlier flights. I was worried, but it was out of my hands.

I find that my attitude when I travel is very positive. I know everyone is stressed out and so I try to be the one who isn't. When I was checking in, there wasn't any clear indication of where exactly one should (which booth etc) and also there was a self-check-in system that was confusing. However, I knew I had hours to figure it out so I took my time and asked for assistance when an assistant looked available. Standing near me was a guy who was loudly complaining about how the service was terrible and he had no idea where to go. He was talking to anyone who could hear him and he was turning his head as if to say, "Am I right, guys? Am I right? This is ridiculous." I turned to him and told him what I had learned about how to check in. He wasn't too pleased and his patience was waning. Then I asked him politely "Are you in a big hurry?" To which he calmly replied "No." Then what's the big f*cking deal? I thought as I smiled. I then saw that he was there with his wife and three kids. He was playing Mr. Responsible For Everything.

As I waited at the gate an announcement came that the gate had changed. I walked over slowly. Then I saw a woman and her son who looked lost. Our eyes made contact and I asked them which was their flight (I think I actually used "which" instead of "what"). Theirs was mine, and so I informed them of the announcement that had been made moments earlier. The woman was exceedingly thankful for my volunteered assistance. Her husband caught up with her and the kid and as they walked off, I heard the woman saying, "A very kind gentleman told us that the gate..." They walked quickly ahead and out of earshot. Simple, but gratifying. I smiled to myself.

My positive attitude continued even after I learned that my plane would arrive in Chicago just 10 minutes before my connection. I wrote a note and handed it to a flight attendant. She disappeared and returned informing me that they could not determine the schedule of my flight to Turkey, but she did move up to the front, just behind first class. I studied the map of O'Hare from a magazine and then asked the same flight attendant to describe to me the quickest way to my terminal (which unfortunately but unsurprisingly was located on the opposite side of the airport). She gave me detailed instructions.

I was the first person off the plane and I ran like hell. Sprinting for minutes and minutes I rounded corners, skipped stairs on escalators, and hurriedly asked security guards for updated directions along the way. As I ran, I thought about how thankful I was for the 2 or 3 soccer games per week I had been playing. However after 5-10 minutes of running flat out, my chest felt like it was going to explode. I finally reached found tram and took it the rest of the way. I was so close to the terminal. I glanced quickly at a computer. The plane was delayed 20 minutes! I glanced at my watch, the 20 minutes was up. I had to go through security again. My shoes and watch flung off, all my things speedily shoved through the x-ray machine. I had never been through security so quickly. I slipped my shoes back on, stepping on the heel. I shoved my loose items into my pockets and began to run again. When I rounded the corner to the gate, every part of me sore. I asked if I was too late, the reply was "yes."

I collapsed on the nearest chair and sunk my head into my hands. Sweat was pouring from my whole body and my shoulders ached. Completely winded, I was still gasping for air after resting for a couple minutes. I was disappointed, upset, but not broken. I gathered up my things and packed them into my backpack. I walked slowly away. An assistant caught up to me and offered to help me. I followed her to where a small crowd of others who had missed the plane were waiting. Had they come on a different plane? Had they found the tram before me? It didn't matter, their presence confirmed that there was probably nothing more I could have done.

My flight got rebooked and I hopped on a hotel shuttle. Once at the hotel, I relaxed in the lobby and then ordered a medium pizza. While in the lobby, I saw a man approach the desk and proceed to be a complete dick. He had had a bad experience trying to find his way to a nearby restaurant despite the receptionist's detailed directions and thought it necessary to take it out on the receptionist in the form of shouting and harsh words. As I listened, I just wondered what the world would be like if the dicks were quiet and the nice people were really loud.

The pizza arrived and I went to my room and collapsed on the bed. I fell into a deep sleep. I woke up after just six hours feeling like I had slept two nights. I climbed out of bed and embarked a very long morning preparation that included a long shower, shave, and ironing all my clothes. Well, all the clothes that I happened to have packed into my backpack. My checked bag is still at the airport and I'm told it will be loaded onto my flight today. I charged all my electronics and repacked my backpack even more efficiently than before, with the most frequently accessed items near the opening of each pocket. I had my leftover pizza from the night before for breakfast. Ingeniously, for lack of a refrigerator, I had insulated the box in between the heavy curtains and the very cold window to the outside. However, I did not attempt to reheat the pizza using the iron! I like cold pizza well enough.

I feel completely refreshed. I took a picture of me with my webcam while having a chat with a nice Iranian fellow who had missed the same flight. A little while later, he took the 1:30 shuttle. I told him I'd see him at the gate.
In 15 minutes, I'm going to take the 2:00 shuttle to the airport from the hotel. The arrangements in Turkey have been made, and so I am really back to where I started only this time I'll get to the gate well in advance. The plane doesn't leave for 8.5 hours.

If you just read all of that, congratulations! Anyway, that's what happened. And now the shuttle is here, so I must go. Take care everyone! Thanks for good travel wishes. I think it will be from here on out. :)

3 comments:

Marisela Chapman said...

This reminds me of Marisela's Rules of the Road, gleaned over 8 years of US and international travel.
#19:NEVER fly west to go east or vice versa (mainly psychological reasons which are made worse when you get stuck)
#47:NEVER fly through Chicago or Detroit (the weather is usually a problem and I have NEVER had an on-time flight from Chicago)...in short, avoid those cities like the plague.

But anyway...what sucks terribly but doesn't kill you usually makes for a good story. ;-) love ya, keep going...

Unknown said...

...what if the people that acted like dicks were quiet and the nice people were loud. yup. Your positive out-look helped out a lot! rock on!

Unknown said...

Wow, that complete list of Rules of the Road might be really really useful! I'm glad I finally made it but I'm sure I wouldn't do it the same way again. Anyway, the karma police seemed to have rewarded me with good fortune since my Very Long Day.