Sunday, March 28, 2010

Last visit home for a while

With my departure date fast arriving, I am under pressure (self-induced) to visit as many people as possible before I go. On top of that, my dad and stepmom are performing in a production of the musical, Three Penny Opera. After catching a glimpse of part of a rehearsal 2 weeks ago, I decided that I had to see the full performance.

After playing an excellent couple hours of soccer in Boston, I drove 4.5 hours up to Maine and arrived about 10 minutes before the start of show. Overall, it was excellent. The venue was small which made the experience more personal.

I stayed up very late that evening because I had a lot of energy. I woke up after 5 hours of sleep and a couple hours later went outside to stack wood. Since posts here are boring without photos, I took some photos.

In fact I stacked wood for about 4 hours. It was exhausting, but also relaxing. I thought a lot about my upcoming trip. I also thought about things I want to say to certain people before I go. Then I just listened to Ida Maria while stacking.

I figure that the heat of summer in İstanbul and the stress involved in moving to foreign country will cause me to soon miss these crisp days laced with the smells of chopped wood and chimney smoke. So I savored it as much as possible and honestly really enjoyed being outside and moving around.

Next on my agenda is the drive tomorrow to Kennebunk, Maine, on the way back to Massachusetts. I will spend the evening there with Nick, a close friend who has a tough graduate school decision to make. He and I will likely introduce hearty amounts of beer to the decision-discussing process. I can't wait to hear how his grad school visits went and where he's thinking of going. I see my visit with Nick as a chance to put my mind on big plans other than my own.

4 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I'm so excited for you and your move! Your blog is great and I hope to see many more posts about your new life in Turkey.

nunni said...

See you in Istanbul :)

Unknown said...

thanks both of you!

Marisela Chapman said...

classic! (the pictures that is)...made me miss you extremely. see you soon in istanbul!