Sunday, March 21, 2010

An account of the weekend

My weekend involved good news coming from friends and a wonderful time in Boston.

First of all, my dear friend B heard good news from schools' PhD programs to which she had applied. I am so happy for her. Getting accepted to a university is a awesome because you wish it more than anything while your applications are pending, but it is also a lot of stress because afterword you have a big and difficult decision to make.

Ultimately, what I conclude: It is hard to come to peace with a big decision even if you know all the choices are great. Given that the choice has a great impact on the rest of one's life, it is easy to get caught up in thinking that there is such thing as the wrong decision. To which I say, cheer up! Life is more about perspective than absolutes.

I saw my old roommate, Hyde, in Boston. We made cupcakes and talked about life. I always enjoy hanging out with him because we kind of tease each other about our quirks and joke about ourselves. After some time I told him about my plans to move abroad. He reacted for a moment and then concluded that he was not surprised. His roommate who was also in the kitchen at that moment interjected that he for one was very surprised.

A little later I went to the monthly Turkish meet-up. It was lots of fun, as usual. At some point later in the night, I came back from the bathroom and was looking for a new friend I had been talking with, when these this guy near me starting flirting with two French-Canadian girls who had just walked in. I started talking with one of them, trying to explain that I didn't know the other guy, but I asked where they were from and so forth. Straight from Quebec, and that explained the accents. Being a guest from out of the country and being an attractive lady, I offered to buy a drink. However, the girl I was talking with explained that they were about to go to another place and would I like to come. They made their way toward the door. By 'they' I mean both the girls and the flirty guy. I paused, and the guy said to me "come on, we'll be each other's wingman". It was a binary decision where each choice was of relatively little consequence. Go with the girls, stay at the bar. When making these kinds of decisions, I tend to go with the option that will make a better or more interesting story later on. However, I declined and remained in the bar with my new-found Turkish friends. The argument in my mind was that I was already content where I was. Although I did spend the rest of the evening and part of the next morning wondering where the other path would have taken me.

Helping to take my mind off the events of the previous night were thoughts about playing soccer with a random group of strangers in Boston later that Saturday morning. I showed up at the park at Cleveland Circle to play soccer on a Facebook invite. There was one familiar face there and a bunch of new faces. As it turned out, most of the people there only knew 1 or 2 of the other people. I was delighted at how much fun we all had and at how effortlessly everyone got along and made the most out of the event. The weather was gorgeous and we played for roughly two and half hours.

I drove home and took a long nap on the couch. The living room was washed in sunlight, but still I slept like a baby. Sunday, I had plans to go back to Boston and participate in an Irish themed food tasting party, but being far from the city, the weather being nice, and other plans arising, I opted to stay in the area of home. It was a nice cap to an awesome weekend.

This weekend, I will play soccer again in Boston and then go to Maine to see my dad and stepmom in a musical production. I will see a good friend in Kennebunk, and then return.

My moving plans are coming together slowly, but time is running out. Two more weeks. I keep thinking about life two weeks from now. So totally different from this old familiar mess. I think about the day before I go. My mind will be clear that day.

No comments: