Thursday, August 12, 2010

Friends in Kartal and a Friendly in Kadıköy

A couple nights ago, I was invited to a barbecue in Kartal by my friend, Gülşah. I met some of her friends including Pelin, who is also in the picture. Additionally I met her brother, Murat, whom I also quickly determined to be cool. We went to a forest for the barbecue, and though the weather was hot, the atmosphere was nice. I think I spoke more Turkish that night than any other.
Then last night, as I was reading an article about the Turkey-Romania international friendly match in preparation for a podcast that I'll be a guest on, I saw that the game was going to held at a stadium very close to my apartment. So I figured, rather than watch it on tv, I should just go to it. I didn't know how to get to the stadium but I saw some people dressed like they were going so I followed them. Less than 10 minutes later I was there. I never realized how close I live to the stadium. I found the ticket booth where some people tried to scam me while I was in line by selling me tickets for more money than they were worth and also lying to me by saying that purchasing a ticket required ID and a credit card. There was a sign that said this, but that was only for if you bought the tickets online. Anyway, I didn't fall for their sh!t. The lesson I learned from it though: damn it's nice knowing a little Turkish. I've met foreigners who have lived here for 10, 15 or 20 years and know almost no Turkish. But I digress... The match itself was not the best I have seen, but Turkey did get the victory, 2-0. It was rather exciting and unreal to be there because I had never seen a national team live before. I am a pretty big fan of a few of the players, and it was cool to see them.

1 comment:

Lucy and Cameron said...

Jeremy! Look how handsome you look all Turki-fied! :) AND a Soccer Hooligan!!! Sounds amazing though, wish I were able to come visit, more now then ever! Love the blog btw!