Friday, June 11, 2010

The World Cup

As the world already knows, the World Cup tournament starts today.I am very excited about this because in the world of football/soccer, it never gets more political than this. The tournament has that same kind of nationalistic pride and enthusiasm that we see in the Olympics, but this is so much bigger. For one, in the the Olympics, you often already know who is going to win. For example, you know that all the winter sports will likely be won by a northern north hemisphere team. In the World Cup, it's anyone's guess.

Speaking of which, here's what I guess.

Group A: Mexico and Uruguay. This is bold and daring because in the history of the tournament, the hosts have never been eliminated in the opening round. Also, a lot of people expect France to do well, but I don't. Their team is old, they barely qualified, and the world hates them for cheating their way into the tournament (recall Henry's infamous handball).

Group B: Argentina and Nigeria. Everyone seems to expect great things from Argentina this time because they happen to have great players, but I don't see that happening. Argentina barely qualified, and despite their great players, they can't seem to play as a team. Nigeria because I really think the African nations will do well overall in this tournament. Also, they were very impressive in the Africa Cup of Nations this year.

Group C: England and the US. But really, who isn't predicting this. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Slovenia upsets. The Brits won't shut up about how badly they're going to beat the USA on Saturday. I don't see it. I think they are a bit full of themselves. USA USA USA!

Group D: Ghana, Australia. This is my boldest prediction yet, but some big team has to be the victim of fate. I think that team will be Germany. I think this group is tougher than anyone thinks. Good luck to Germany, but watch out for Ghana and Australia.

Group E: Netherlands and Denmark. Actually I've been saying for months now that Holland will win the tournament. However, I really love the Danish side. The opening match of this group is between the two and my heart will be breaking during the whole game no matter what the outcome.

Group F: Italy and Paraguay. I don't expect Italy to go all the way, nor Paraguay. But I expect to see them make it out of the group. I also expect a lot of success from South American teams overall.

Group G: Brazil and Ivory Coast. I hate Portugal. I can't hope for them. I love that they barely qualified despite huge expectations. Once again, you have a team with amazing players who can't cooperate effectively.

Group H: Chile and Spain. Everyone in the world thinks Spain or Brazil will win it all. I think this is bogus. Watch out for Chile. They are going to win this group! I think/hope.

There you have it. Probably I will read this later and feel really embarrassed, but I don't mind that. The truth is, I love this tournament and whatever happens, I think I will be delightfully entertained. I hope you will be too. The action starts today with Mexico v. South Africa and Uruguay v. France. I'm expecting Mexico and Uruguay to be smiling the broadest at the end of the day. I wait to be embarrassed.

No comments: