Monday, August 17, 2009

Rize

This is the most beautiful city I have ever seen.

But first, a couple more notes about my time in Trabzon. I went out for some fish because it was my top goal while in Trabzon. The fish was perfect. The meal was great. My only wish is that I could have shared it with someone. I dont mean my food; I ate all that myself and loved every bit of it. I mean I wish someone could have joined me for the meal.I felt a bit like I was in the movie theater alone or on a roller coaster by myself. It is fun but you want someone to glance over to, to smile to, to hang on to...

After dinner I skipped the bar and went to the seaside to set up camp. I thought I saw others setting up camp to but I guess they left. Relaxing on a rock and listening to my ipod I completely relaxed. Then a couple of guys who were leaving came over to me and said a bunch of stuff that I didn't understand. They seemed to be warning me about some reason for not staying the night on the beach. When one of them talked he glanced over my shoulder as if some imminent danger would come any minute. When they realized that I couldn't understand them, they decided to give up explaining and walked off. I tried to shrug it off but I couldn't. So I left. I walked to the highest point of the city which is saying something. It was like hiking a small mountain. When I got to the top there were places to drink tea and watch the football match on tv. It was Fenerbahçe and Sivasspor. I drank a couple teas and watched the first half. Fener was playing much better and ultimately won the game. I didn't stay to see though. I needed a place to sleep. I walked for a long time, down the mountain and toward the eat side of town. I found a hotel and asked if they had an empty room. Of course they did. I have yet to have found a full hotel in this country. No sleeping under the stars tonight I thought, feeling a bit disappointed. The feeling wore off when I found out how cheap a night in the hotel was. In the morning, I got ready and asked a guy near the bus stop how I could best get to Rize. Within 2 minutes I was on a bus to Rize. The ride only took an hour. I took the picture above as we were approaching the city. I was delighted when I got off the bus. It was hard not to be. It seemed like everyone in the city was outside, walking around, working, shopping, and drinking tea. I felt like I was at a fair ground minus the rides, sketchy people and smell of fried food. Ok so maybe not the best example. The point is, it was a happy atmosphere. The sky was party cloudy and 26 or 27 degrees. Just perfect.

I was very hungry and so I stopped at a place and had Adana kebap and Ayran. It was the best I have had and it cost me only 7 TL. My original plan was to spend the day here and leave late tonight. I am reconsidering it now. I think I will stay an extra day here.

The following day was more cloudy and it did finally rain at night just as I left for Ağrı.

No comments: