Tuesday, August 12, 2008

State Quarters



For the short story, skip to ***

Remember when the government started making those state quarters? I was 13 at the time and I was of course very excited the first time I saw a Delaware quarter. I had assumed that coins were one of those things that never change, but here I was wrong. Things do change and life is all the more exciting for it. That was my initial response anyway.

So then I thought, I should collect these! Oh what a marvelous thing to collect. Stamps are boring, bugs are gross, but quarters! So I looked around and found a Delaware quarter and said, "Ah-ha! Now my collection has started." Then I got this terrible feeling of the slowness of time when I remembered reading in the newspaper that they would be releasing the new quarters every 10 weeks for like 9 years. I tossed the Delaware quarter aside and decided that I would just forget about the damn state quarters until at least most of them were released. Fast forward to the other day.

I realized ah ha! They have all been released and I totally forgot about them until now! Ok, I really wasn't that excited. ***But the short story is I have decided that I will collect the state quarters until I have them all. For the conclusion, go to ^^^. I started the collection August 10th when I went to do my laundry and stuck a $10 bill in the change machine. I used the non-state quarters for my laundry and put the others in a box. I can't imagine why you would care, but this blog is about me and I care (a little anyway).

^^^As you guessed, the map above shows in green the states whose quarters I have since I started my collection. I will update it as the quarters come in. If you see me around and happen to have one the quarters I need, I'll be thrilled if you give it to me.

No comments: