Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Songs: Which are your top 3 of all time?

Like most people, I have listened to a lot of music. I have heard a lot of bad music, and I have found some decent music too. Sometimes I wish that some divine entity would hand me a cd with my favorite 50 songs of all time (including the future of course). That would save me so much trouble!

Anyway I got this idea which is that I will tell you what my three favorite songs are, and you can tell me yours. Seems simple and maybe a little stupid, but I think it will rock. See, you have had a lifetime to find good songs, as have I, as has everyone else. So why don't we all benefit from each other's, shall we say, well spent time by sharing with everyone what these songs are. Don't just pick the three songs on the radio that you like the most right now. I mean the three best ones ever. I will then try to get a hold of all the songs you put and listen to them to decide which ones are my favorites. You may do the same if you want. As soon as you can, post a comment with your 3 favorite songs of all time.
Here are mine:

Radiohead - Let Down

Oceansize - Music for a Nurse

Sezen Aksu - Firuze

Of course it is really hard for me to feel tremendous about these choices. I could name about 10 other songs that I could have chosen in place of one of the other ones, but ultimately I had to base it on many different factors. You may base your decision on whichever factors you please. Maybe there is a song that doesn't get old no matter how many times you listen to it. Maybe there is a song that you used to listen to during an especially memorable time of your life. So go ahead and choose the 3 that are your favorites. I will look forward to listening to them.

2 comments:

pinarto said...

1) Untitled 4--Sigur Ros
2) Such Great Heights but no-one sang it quite right--i listen to the versions of the Postal Service and Iron and Wine and mix them in my head
3) No Surprises--Radiohead

phew!

The Mike Burns said...

No Quarter - originally by Led Zeppelin, but I thouroughly enjoy scowering the earth for covers, most of which, when done in a different style, are awesome.

Reflection - Tool. 11 minutes or so, and drones on for a while with some Eastern-influenced drumming and melody, with somewhat mystic lyrics (e.g. crucify the eagle before it's far too late) and then it climaxes and ends one measure too soon (which is why you must listen on repeat while falling asleep)

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana. Whenever the guitar kicks in, I stop all conversation and wait for the drums, then I freak out. Every single time.