Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Geography Lesson

This is sort of random but I was thinking about how a lot of states in the US have capitals that are not their biggest city. ME, NH, NY, CA, TX etc etc. In fact the capital of the US is not our biggest city. Then I got to thinking, I wonder which other countries also share this trait.

On the map shown above, blue countries have at least one city that is larger than their capital. I suppose each country has its reasons. Turkey moved their capital from İstanbul to Ankara to protect it from invasion. Brazil wanted to move the population inland and so they took the opportunity to build a new, gorgeous, modern capital city in the middle of nowhere. I think I like the idea of a country having a capital city that no one has heard of because then one city in your country doesn't get all the attention. Unless of course you are like Greenland and no one has even heard of your capital city. In that case you have to stack everything into one city and hope for the best. Does anyone know its capital without looking it up? ...I didn't think so.

No comments: