Monday, May 31, 2010

The Protests Continue at Night

When I returned to the scene at Levent in the evening, the event had grown tremendously in size and impact. As I climbed the stairs exiting the metro, I heard the chants. When I emerged above ground, I saw that Levent was an entirely different place.I had to push my way through packed crowds to even get a view of the chaos. People were gushing into the area by the metro-car-load, waving flags and yelling chants like "Kahrolsun İsrail" (Damn you, Israel). Flares were being lit, police were swarming. At one point everyone started yelling excitedly and when I saw the smoke I understood. A flag was being burned, but I could not tell what the flag depicted. Israel? Probably, but it didn't matter. Behind the crowds, a man was helplessly trying to keep the people out of the only remaining lane of the northbound Büyüdere Caddesi traffic. His effectiveness waned and 5 or 10 minutes later the cars and buses full of people were motionless. Their honking was mainly an attempt to encourage rioters to get out of the way, but I'm certain it was interpreted only as a show of support.


Bigger and bigger flags were moving in, followed by larger and larger signs. The ones which I could understand said straightforward and unoffensive things like "it's not alright to attack humanitarian aid ships". I can't speak for the others though.
To sum up, I will just say that the people here are very upset by what happened. I don't mean just at the protest. Killing a dozen or so Turks on a peaceful effort to deliver aid to a struggling people is just such a terrible and unnecessary thing. When you have the guns, you have the responsibility. With that, I hope that the fallout from this is policy change, not more violence. Time will tell.

3 comments:

Skyler said...

Hey Jeremy, this looks like serious stuff. Your video was very revealing of the reaction in Turkey. Please stay safe over there! I'm glad that your other posts seem to indicate you're having a good time overall.

Gabrielle said...

You're there at an interesting time. People should be upset... it is too much. Interestingly, the only people I have heard mention this here in Boston are my Turkish friends. Besides that, the story came on the news after weather and a story about a tree crashing into some guys porch... well, you know how it is here...

Unknown said...

Actually, I've been following the news in the US, and it's amazing to me that people can actually defend the illegal boarding of a supply ship and the slaughter of 9 basically-unarmed people. Pretend for 1 second that it was an Israeli ship destined for southern Turkey. I think the reaction of many in the US would be different. If you are honest with yourself, your reaction would be the same either way. People should never die in the process of helping those less fortunate at the hands of the militaristic mighty.