Saturday, March 29, 2008

A bit more about my project, my life in kbh


I thought I would talk for a bit about my project.

First I will describe further the place where my project partners and I work. From previous entries, you know that I work at a museum called Frilandsmuseet or "The Open Air Museum". This is a place where families, school children, and senior citizens go to see what parts of Denmark looked like in the last couple of centuries. So the museum consists of original houses, farms, and other constructions all spread out over 86 acres with gardens, animals, and ponds in between.

There are many cool things about this museum, not the least of which is free admission. But another cool thing is that they hold special events for children during the holidays. Last week, we were around during the Easter events. I include here a picture of the children and their parents making decorative cut-outs. In a nearby room there were people dressed up in garb from the Danish 1800s and they were cooking food from a recipe book that looked really old. Everywhere there were children and their parents walking around. Especially popular were the geese that waddled in the dooryard and the stilts for everyone to try. I had not tried walking on stilts for maybe 15 years and gave it a go. I guess I did ok, but it took a while to get the hang of.

Back to my project. This museum has a program that was developed a couple years ago called Mulighedernes Land (Land of Possibilities). Basically it is a virtual role playing game that uses the museum grounds as the playing field. Participants choose which character they want to be and then they use a gps-equipped cell phone that gives them location-specific information. Where they go determines what happens in the story. Based on the story development, the group makes decisions about where to go next. The goal is for a the character to 'make it in life' in the 19th century. This program is for children of roughly all ages. Actually some adults have tried it and liked it, but it was really designed for the kids.

Anyway....

Our project is to create a teambuilding program for businesses that uses the gps technology. The museum's goal is to expand its use of the gps cellphone technology and to bring in some more money by attracting a wider audience to the museum. Shown right is our sponsor showing us how the gps cell phones work. If my partners look less than enthused, it is because it was a candid shot. We really like going around the museum and learning about everything. Most of all we like it when our sponsor comes to visit. His name is Klaus and he very excited and energetic.

I hope you can get an idea of what our project is like from what I have told you. If you have any questions or whatever just make it a comment to this post and I will get around to responding. I will leave you this time with something that I saw the other day. From these pictures you cannot hear the music being played in the streets or smell the bread being baked in a shop nearby, but you can imagine. It all brightened my mood a bit.

No comments: