Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Zekeriyaköy bazaar! ...and then a nice boat ride

At work today, the children went on a field trip to the Zekeriyaköy bazaar. I was invited along. I really like these small markets and they are especially enjoyable visually since there are so many different colored fruits and vegetables.

Of course with all that fresh food around, I had to buy something. I
quickly decided that I wouldn't mind a kilo of those grapefruits. It was also fun to watch the teachers and children shopping together. The children selected fruits they wanted and the teachers would help facilitate the purchase. Like a child myself, I walked around most of the time with one of the teachers, constantly asking her "what's that called? what's that called?". "Enginar," she told me in one case. Then she would ask me what it's called in English. "Artichoke," I replied.

I missed the boat home by 2 minutes. At first I was bummed but then I didn't mind because the sun was on its way down and the view would be better 30 minutes later. I figured since I had waited for the next boat, I should get as much out of it as possible. I took lots of pictures including these ones.
A very typical boat. I felt like such a tourist taking this photo.
The view of Kadıköy, my hometown in Turkey, from the water
It's still just me!

No comments: