Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Leaving Berlin and Arriving in Copenhagen

Those last times in Berlin were especially nice. Sebastian took me out to meet some of his friends and we had some beer in some very unique and chill places. On Sunday, we went to a park where a festival-like flea market event was taking place. The Sun was shining and the place was crowded. Sebastian and I met up with some of his friends and we got some beer and watched the karaoke. I should explain. Some guy had set up a mic and some speakers and people took turns singing along. Most of them were ok, but occasionally when someone was really bad, the crowd would sing along to help them out and applaud them greatly for their effort. It was a very happy and relaxed atmosphere.

The next morning, Sebastian and I got up early. He had to go to his second-to-last day of work in Berlin and I had to catch the 8-hour bus ride to Copenhagen. I thanked Sebastian for his hospitality and as he got off the train I already started missing him. It was a short stay in Berlin, but it was packed and very fun. I never thought while he lived with me in Worcester that one day I would stay with him in Berlin, but that's what happened. I rode the train another 20 minutes by my lonesome and found my way to the bus station. There, I purchased the ticket and waited at the gate. Then I had a moment. I suddenly heard someone near me speaking Danish and it suddenly occurred to me that I would be going back to that place I lived for a couple months last year. After listening to German being spoken all weekend, the soft ooglie-schmooogli-ness of Danish lulled me in a relaxed content state which was what I would need to last the long trip.

I was last in Denmark from March-May 2008 doing a project for school. During that time I made a friend, Stig, and I met his friends, and we all hung out when we could. I was certainly looking forward to seeing them again and I wanted to see what Copenhagen is like in the summer. Denmark is a country that I greatly admire for its intellectual and laid back culture. The Danes have created a society that is healthy, modern, safe, and welcoming to outsiders. To some extend the Germans and the Italians have, too, but for me Denmark is more familiar and so it was with great enthusiasm that I watched the sea and the countryside go by as the bus and ferry and another bus carried me to Copenhagen.

I was happy to find Stig waiting for me at the station in Copenhagen. We immediately began talking about our plans for the next day. Sebastian told me about a concert that his cousin, Kwamie, would be performing at in Copenhagen. Stig said he wanted to go visit the venue (a boat) and so we both looked forward to going. That night, we made tortillas for dinner and then went out for a walk in the park nearby and had a couple beers. I was glad to enjoy Grøn Tuborg again after a year or so.

When Tuesday came we had breakfast and went out to Fælledpark, which I often visited, near where I used to live. We kicked a ball for a bit and then Henrik came. It was good to see him again. He joined us for some football and then we had lunch. After that, Henrik's girlfriend Tanja arrived. We hung out together for a little while and then I left to go visit my old neighborhood. I went to Classensgade, where the WPI students stay when they are here. I'm not sure why I wanted to walk past there. There really isn't anything to see but the building. Anyway, I liked remembering when I lived there and it was cold and I had my project to work on. I suddenly missed greatly my project partners, Krista and Peter. As I stopped in the cafes that I used to frequent, it occurred to me that a lot of people I know in the states would be really jealous of my presence back in Copenhagen (my apologies if you are reading this now). I thought of Erica H., who first told me about the project site and got me interested in doing my project in Copenhagen. Of course I thought of my project partners and my advisor, as well as some of the other students. I thought about my friend, Tom C., who recently returned from Denmark but didn't want to leave. I realized how fortunate I am to be back here. I also realized that each one of those people I mentioned will come visit this place again if they haven't already.

At night, we went to the boat to see Kwamie. The party boat was called Stubnitz and comes in from Germany every summer to host concerts and whatnot. There were going to be 5 or 6 bands followed by an open mic session. Stig and I really enjoyed each of the bands, including Kwamie's. After the show, we went out on deck to mingle and chat with the other folks there. I talked a bunch with a nice bloke named Bernd, and some pleasant friends of Kwamie. Stig joined the circle and we shared stories and laughs. Later, we watched fireworks from the Out Games which were taking place in Copenhagen all week. Even later, Stig and myself and a couple others went out for a beer at an Aussie bar before heading home.

Our big plan of the week would commence on the morrow, when we would depart to Nykøbing, Sjælland. I have marked its general location on the map below with a green square that has a blue dot in the center and a grayish-blue outline. Shown in red, of course, is Copenhagen. As I write this now, I have already returned from that 2-day trip, and believe me it was awesome. More on that very soon.

No comments: