Saturday, July 25, 2009

Berlin

My flight to Berlin was short. I had a window seat and I slept for a bit with the window shade open and so my dream was bright and real. I spent a long time at the airport learning the public transportation system and then I spent a long time getting to Sebastian's office. Sebastian is a friend of mine who lived with me in Worcester for a stint while he was at WPI. Now I am living with him for a stint in Germany. One of the first things I happened to see were some remnants of the Berlin Wall.
Since my arrival there has been a focus on experiencing the night life in Berlin. Two nights ago, Sebastian showed me a fun part of the city and we had fun. I met a very nice Finnish couple and enjoyed a couple beers with them. Yesterday was mostly for R&R. I reserved my bus ticket to Copenhagen for Monday. I really cannot wait to be in a familiar country again and to see my friends there. In the meantime, it is all about getting the Berlin weekend experience. Last night, Sebastian and I had a couple social events attend. Later, we went to a really nice outdoor techno club/bar on the water and with a lot of different places to chill. So we chilled. On the way home, we continued the tradition of getting a kebab for breakfast. It is nice for me because all the time Sebastian is doing the talking for me, but when we go for kebab I can order my own food by practicing some Turkish.
Some observations about Berlin: 1. It is very very diverse. 2. It is huge, but it doesn't feel threatening because the buildings are of a tolerable size. 3. Germans are a very friendly people and the language, though it sounds harsh in movies, sounds gentler when I hear it spoken here. 4. Turks and kebab stores everywhere 5. Young people (like my age) are in the streets everywhere, spending time with friends and having a good time.
Tonight it will be early to bed for a change. Sebastian has work in the morning and I have a bus to catch. I decided to take the bus to Copenhagen because it is about 4 times cheaper than anything else and I will get to see the German countryside. So normally I would dread an 8-hour bus ride, but I'm actually looking forward to this one. I am looking forward to so many things about Denmark that I have been missing, but that's for a later post.

No comments: