Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Aydın, city of light

Uplifted by having had a few marvelous days in Antalya, I thanked and said my goodbyes to the Karakoyunlus who had so graciously hosted me and climbed onto a bus to Aydın. Thanks to a special promotion, I got to ride a very luxurious bus at no extra cost. When I got to Aydın, I felt a great joy. I came last year from Ankara by way of the night bus, but this time I came during the day from the south. Regardless, the experience was just as relaxing and wonderful as the first time, and this time I was awake for most of it.

My friend Kahraman's sister, Burcu, came to get me from the bus station and took me back to their house. Unfortunately, Kahraman had left the day before because he needed to get back to the States. However, I had already met his father last year and his mother on more than one other occasion. In the last year, they had moved across town to a new apartment that still retained the comfort and charm of the old one. I looked out over Aydın from my bedroom window shortly before falling into a deep and rejuvenating sleep.

The next morning I shook away the remnants of sleepiness more quickly than usual. I was very excited to visit the elementary in Sultan Hısar again. Last year, I was shocked by the enthusiasm the children were instilled with from seeing me. Even with their uncontrollable excitement, they were very respectful and very hardworking. This year I would visit them again but without warning. I stayed the whole day this time and even taught one the English classes. The students and I shared facts and interests with each other in English and they performed very well.

That evening, I went out with Burcu to a nice little club where we met up with a few of her friends and enjoyed a late night out together. Burcu and her friends talked about many things, which at first I tried to understand. After a short time I realized that it was mostly on topics that do not generally interest me. Unsurprising I suppose, but the conversation sounded so interesting when I did not understand it.

Apart from the Efes and the music, I also enjoyed taking some pictures without the flash, producing shots like the one left of Burcu and her friends.

Some conclusions from my time in Aydın:

- Kahraman's mother cooks the most amazing food
- Aydın isnt the same without Kahraman there but it still rocks
- I will totally miss those kids from Sultan Hısar

No comments: