Friday, July 25, 2008

Perspective, part 1: Colors

I associate people with colors. When I think of a friend, such as you for instance, there are colors in my head that are unique to you. I imagine that everyone does this to some extent. Most of the colors in my mind are like the ones in the picture at the right.

What I ask you to do is, send me an email* or just post a comment, and say which three colors from the picture you associate the most with me. Go ahead and put them in order if there is an order. In return, I will tell you which three colors I associate with you.

When the data is in, I will post a chart showing which ones were most popular. I wonder how closely the colors you pick for me will match the ones that I would pick for myself. Remember that of course this is not a contest of any kind, and the specifics of the answers are of no consequence. There are no rules. If you find only two colors that work, go with those. If you find four, so be it. I am just really curious to see which colors you think of when you think of me. Perhaps patterns will emerge, maybe one color will come out well above all the others. Ok, I am getting really curious now.

*jeremyrchapman@gmail.com

4 comments:

Ilan said...

I was originally going to choose 1, 7 and 45 for you. But then I realized that it could sound a little homophobic, and I chose 32, 15 and 43.

Alex Scott said...

Actually, I don't think I associate colors with people almost at all. But I do associate colors with letters and numbers, very strongly. I've noticed more and more that this has effects in my thinking. It affects the way I see mathematics, and really helped me memorize pi. I have noticed cases where the color of people's names affects how I think of them, though this isn't the case for you.

Marisela said...

You know I associate everything with colors...20, 21, and 7 (that 7 kind of surprised me...but I guess me and Ilan get that part of you ;) also I didn't want to pick three greens, otherwise you're all dark green, bold green, rich green, grass green, to me)

pinarto said...

18, a slight 14, red and 35 :)
you'd asked me before and it's pretty much the same