Sunday, September 21, 2008

A night out with some friends

I enjoy hookah on a rare occasion. Last night some close friends asked me if I would come along with them for "nargile". I recalled my last time smoking the hookah. It was New Years Eve, and I was in a hookah bar in the Cordon part of İzmir, Turkey. I remember the day fondly. So I went along with my friends last night to a place that they frequent. When we got there it was crowded, but my friends being 'regulars', so to speak, had no trouble getting us a private room in the upstairs section which had been closed. There we chilled out for a couple of hours, talking all the while about many things. I puffed charily on the lemon-tea-flavored tobacco until it saturated the senses at which point I focused less on the surroundings and more on the conversation which until then I had not noticed was in a different language. It must have switched slowly from the familiar English to the murky Turkish, but my friends' accents remaining unchanged had made the transition seamless. The night carried on in a continuously enjoyable manner. So I took a picture.

More to come.

No comments: